Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Wonders of Body Image -- or, Is it Possible to Change it at this Late Stage in the Game?

As a child, I recall that the fat on the steak was my very favorite part. Somewhere around the age of 8 or 9, though, I began to learn that I shouldn’t eat the fat. That it would make me fat. That I was fat. At first these admonitions were said gently, and with wisdom. But later, they felt like digs into the very core of my being. I remember, once, helping myself to a second helping of tuna salad, and I heard my Mother say, “Do you just want to be fat your whole life?” The level of disgust in her voice frightened me, and the humiliation felt like ice in my stomach. I had only wanted a little more tuna.  It had tasted so delicious.


Little did she or I know that it wasn’t the fat, tuna, or the mayonnaise that was the problem, it was the bread, and the sugar in the mayonnaise and the relish. But that memory has stood the test of time.  I sometimes hear the shriekish way it was said to me when I see my own daughters fixing food.  I worry that I’ve projected my own body image issues onto my oldest daughter, who has already heard criticism from her peers. Sure, she has a little tummy, but she is growing, and will likely grow nearly 12 inches in the next several years. She devours vegetables, and chile, and all sorts of amazing foods that most kids would turn their nose up to.  Chicken tenders were never her thing.  Hot salsa, stir fry, and green chile stew, those were the things she ate as a toddler. She will start bleeding and will learn to live with her blood moon. She is strong, graceful, lovely. Her legs are to die for.

I am thankful that she is not in school so that the critics are far and few between. I am thankful that she is enamored with dance and soccer and swimming and running, and that we can provide her with opportunities that I did not have; that my own parents refused to give to me.

I have struggled with my own body image for as long as I can remember.  Growing up with mostly Hispanic and Indian girls, I was immediately and obviously different. More pudgy, more blond, more blue-eyed than most everyone else.  My hispanic friends were ridiculously skinny and much more leggy than I could ever dream of.  I wished for dark brown or black hair, and would look at my wet hair after a bath and wish it would stay darker and not dry into the wheat-blond locks I was, actually, blessed with.

In the fourth grade, one particularly ruthless boy named Ruben started calling me Chubby Checker.  I didn’t know who Chubby Checker was, other than some old guy that the characters on Happy Days mentioned from time to time.  In fifth grade, the boy both my best friend and I both had a crush on, Bryan, said he liked me because I had a “chunky pussy.”  Yes, really. As much as I did not feel like that was a compliment, I was happy he liked me. By sixth grade, when I was 11, it was clear that me and my gringa friends were developing at a different rate than our Hispanic sisters.  We had more boobs and were much taller, me being much wider, while they all still had legs the circumference of the fourth graders, just taller.

By middle school, everyone seemed to catch up. I wasn’t fat or skinny, just average.  But by high school, my weight again became a prominent factor in my own life.  I wanted desperately to do sports like swimming or diving and track, but my parents told me I could only do band, which was “enough” of an obligation for me. When my weight began to climb at age 14, my mother brought a nutritionist in to meet with me.  She concurred that I was too heavy for my age and height.  She proceeded to instruct me on measuring out my morning cereal, one-half cup of raisin bran, and one cup of skim milk.  Ick.  By 10:00 am, I distinctly remember feeling brain-fogged and starving, thinking that lunch time was an eternity away.  I lost about 10 pounds and the nutritionist fell by the wayside. 

A meager allowance meant that my friends and I could cross the street to the little market and buy Oreos and smoked almonds for lunch every day.  Some days I existed on diet coke and peanut butter chocolate wafers, with a serving of peanut M&Ms during French.

When I was 14 I had strep several times. I had the chicken pox. I had regular common colds multiple times. I would get bloody noses every single day. Sometimes it took an hour to make them stop bleeding.  As a result of the multiple colds I had, I bought nasal spray to unblock my congested sinuses, which surely only helped to erode the tender mucosa that lined the inside of my nose. My hormones were running rampant and I was cursed to fall in love with guys over and over. Somehow I managed to maintain my aura of normalcy, but I remember feeling anything but, deep down inside.

My Mother’s overwhelming domineering control and her unspoken fear that I would end up pregnant and destitute at age 14, became all-encompassing. She went through my stuff, she read my journal, she grounded me for 6 months. All just for being a normal 14-year old. As the year wore on, and my diet became worse and worse, it is remarkable that I was able to survive the endless stream of diet cokes, peanut butter bars, M&Ms, and Oreos.  Surely it was my Mom’s insistence on the home-cooked meat or fish-based dinners that salvaged my poor brain.

At 16, I discovered that my tall, blond, gorgeous friend, Wendy, was a foodie.  She would insist on bringing me to her house for lunch where she would fix me leftover cheese ravioli with pesto, or leftover chicken parmesan from the night before.  She told me she enjoyed cooking because it was her job to do so, to take care of her sisters because her Mother didn’t do so, since she was a doctor.  I envied her skill at whipping us up a lunch from the remains of the fridge.

By 17, I would eat my lunch with my boyfriend every day, so I pre-made my lunch the night before, eating mostly sandwiches and fruit, but sometimes leftover hamburgers or my Dad’s famous beef teriyaki.  When I first started dating my future hubby, I was a large 160 pounds.  I remember thinking that my ass was one of the widest in school.  Another dear friend, with a matter-of-fact way of being told me, “Who cares? Why do you care?”  And I couldn’t come up with an immediate answer. Why did I care if my ass was wider than everyone else’s?  Well, obviously I cared because I wanted to be skinny, and pretty, and desired.  That’s why I cared.

When I started dating Scott, he tortured me.  It became clear that to be his girlfriend I would have to be active, which was enjoyable as a child, but I had clearly had fallen into ill-repair as noted on the first bike ride we did together. I felt like I was going to die.  My legs could not even push the bicycle up Urban, or back to his parent’s house on Arizona. The first several hikes we took made my lungs feel like they would implode, and I would beg to stop and rest constantly. He must have really liked me.  He was patient and gentle and never criticized, ever.

I joined Tae Kwon Do, I started running regularly. I bought a mountain bike.

My life had just begun.

At age 19, I visited my first alternative practitioner, Jeff Santay. He diagnosed me as being sensitive to wheat and dairy. I attempted to learn how to eat without eating crackers and bread and tortillas and milk, and it was incredibly difficult as a poor college student living in the city. I bought rice-bread and natural hot dogs and ate a lot of carne adovada.

Eventually my desire to maintain the food elimination became too difficult because I was young, in college, and didn’t have much money or motivation. We ended back up in Washington, this time in our own house near the water. Our year in Albuquerque had introduced us to stir fries and the organic food co-op.  Back in Olympia we discovered we could eat on $30 a week by shopping at the co-op.  Fresh vegetables, salmon, and fruit were purchased there, and we’d buy our cheese, canned goods, and beer at the super-store, Top Foods, where fresh Halibut was sometimes on sale for pennies. We lived next to an organic bakery, and could buy day-old bread for next-to-nothing.

Bicycle commuting, running, Tae Kwon Do, swimming, Aikido, and dance meant that I was burning plenty of calories, despite our regular consumption of beer and fresh-baked bread.  I was the lightest I had ever been as an adult those last two years at Evergreen, weighing between 125 and 130 pounds. 

And I still thought I was fat.

I look at pictures now and think, what the heck was I thinking?  I was beautiful!

And as I’ve aged, I’ve watched my weight slowly and surely continue to climb and climb up through the numbers.  Despite maintaining a heavy exercise load, my hormones could not keep up with the carbohydrate-heavy days I funneled into my body. Four to six beers a day, quesadillas, pasta salads, cheese and crackers, home made pizza—all these things overloaded my insulin receptors and sent my brain on a desperate search for hormonal communication between my receptors and my cells.

Despite my home-cooked soups and stews, sautéed greens, casseroles, stir-fried meals, consciousness towards fresh, organic, whole foods, I was still just getting fatter and fatter. Year after year.  If my hours of exercise dropped, my weight would climb faster. If I increased my biking or running loads, I would only stabilize, not lose. Despite being an herbal practitioner who helped others to regain health and well-being, I felt like I could not grasp hold of my own well-being when it came to my weight.  And as much as I knew I was fat and getting fatter, felt my own embarrassment in the fact that my clothes were getting tighter and tighter, and that I did not look like the athlete I think myself to be, I didn’t know what to do other than what I was already doing.

Trying to eat well, and exercise a lot. I was, in fact, resigning myself to the idea that I was just one of those people who is big.  That I was big-boned, stocky, Scandinavian. I am strong, I told myself, when it comes to kicking someone’s ass in a self-defense situation, I want the weight behind my kick. I can go longer and farther than most people, I would tell myself. There is a lot of muscle under that upholstery.

But I was still selling myself short. I was not looking myself in the eye. I was not being honest.

I knew that the primary problem was beer, and my over-consumption of it.  Thousands of calories a month. Thousands of grams of carbohydrates.

But the more that I’ve learned that calories in/calories out is not accurate, I’ve come to see that it was my constant glycemic loading--the continuous pumping in of carbohydrates that my body could only deal with by storing them as fat. And that the more carbs I pumped in, whether from beer or grains or beans, the more metabolic disruptions I continued to cause. Slowly and surely, I was headed down the pathway of metabolic disorder, and eventual type II diabetes. As much as I proclaimed to know about health and well-being, I was headed down my own personal road to disaster.

Many pathways led me to this moment.  I am thankful for each one. I now know that I do not have to be resigned to being fat. After more than a decade of not being able to lose 5 pounds to save my life (minus and plus the 17 pounds I lost with soup and hours of spinning, cycling, and running—over the course of 9 months, and then regained in a matter of weeks), I have lost over 34 pounds in 4 months. The effort did not come from exercise and a calorie deficit, rather from a mindful and diligent choice to eliminate all grains and legumes from my diet.  As a result of that elimination, low-carb living has also manifested as part of my life. 

All the years of confusion about ketosis, dietary fat, hormonal and metabolic processes, and food choice came rushing in like a tidal wave. Interestingly, my own understanding about these issues seems to be shadowed by an increase in media and scientific research as well, as though the information needs to be spread far and wide and many different disciplines are working in concert to get it there.

Life is a mysterious and wondrous thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment